Hope Cunningham Fine Art

To view more of my work, please visit www.hopecunningham.com

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Dewees Portrait Project























Peter Cotton 14X11 Original Oil on Panel

It's been a very busy two weeks here on Dewees Island as the "Portrait of Dewees" project gets up and running. My very gracious hosts, Marion and Peter Cotton, have given me the use of of their beautiful home for the duration on my first painting stint on the island. Marion and Anne Anderson introduced me to folks on the island and helped me to set up a studio space in the Huyler House library. It's a great space with good light and is working out beautifully.

Anne and Jim Anderson hosted a welcome reception for me where I met some of the island residents. The folks here are wonderful and excited about participating in this community project. The plan for now is to paint as many folks on the island as possible before the annual owners meeting in March. The portraits will be presented at that time along with the concept: to capture the spirit of this unique island community in a series of portraits completed over the coming year. The portraits will be photographed (by someone who knows what they are doing, which is not me) and compiled in a book about the island. The book will be launched at the portrait exhibition.

So far, I have painted six portraits. If you are on the island, you can drop by the library at the Huyler House to see them. Meanwhile, I will be blogging about the project most days. Sign up to follow the blog and see who is being painted!


No comments:

Post a Comment