Hope Cunningham Fine Art

To view more of my work, please visit www.hopecunningham.com

Friday, July 29, 2011

On the Cusp

On the Cusp 12"X10"
Oil on Canvas Panel


For most of the week I have been shackled to my computer trying to get a handle on QuickBooks.  The business side of art, I could do without. my procrastination and avoidance caught up with me but I am taking the books in hand and showing them who's boss.  

The only time I got to paint this week was last night at my friend, Russell Recchion's studio.  This delightful young man is 15 years old. Look closely and you will surely catch  glimpse of the man he will soon become. He was an enthusiastic and responsive model.  It was a treat to make his acquaintance.

I took on a bit of a new challenge with this one. Most of the head is in the light with very little shadow.     
My goal was to create volume and turn the form with temperature.  I am happy with the result and definitely will try this again. As usual, I ended up with "a painting of a person where something there is something wrong with the mouth". A Sargent reference for those of you who may not have heard it before. I find it comforting. 

Now I need a quote about leaving fingerprints in wet paint. Does that mean I don't need to bother signing it?

No comments:

Post a Comment